Hounds for Heroes assistance dogs can help overcome some of the physical barriers and obstacles caused by your disability; promoting an increased sense of freedom, providing a loyal comrade and just maybe the beginning of a new life.
Our application process is open to all HM Armed Forces and Emergency Services personnel, both serving or previously served, who are disabled through injury or illness either service or non-service attributable.
In order to start your application you must meet our eligibility criteria listed below:
1. Have served or are currently serving in:
- HM Armed Forces either as a regular or a reservist
- The 999 emergency services
2. Be over 16
3. Reside full-time in the United Kingdom [but please note that we are unable to provide effective aftercare in some remote locations]
4. Have a confirmed physical disability or medical condition that would benefit from the help of a dog with at least three distinct tasks such as:
- Picking up items that have been dropped
- Opening and closing doors
- Help with dressing and undressing
- Fetching help
5. Be able to meet the care needs of an assistance dog
6. Have an appropriate home environment that can accommodate the physical and welfare needs of an assistance dog
Our main focus is to support people with physical disabilities so we are unable to accept applications from those whose primary reason for applying relates to mental and emotional disabilities, for example PTSD.
If you have any questions about whether you might be eligible for a Hounds for Heroes dog, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Equality and Diversity Statement:
We do not discriminate on grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, colour, religion or belief, disability, age, pregnancy or maternity.